Pedestrian Knockdowns: Types of Serious Injuries After Being Hit by a Car in NYC: Explained by Personal Injury Lawyers in Bronx, NY
- Past pain and suffering
- Future pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost future earnings
- Property damage
- Nursing care
- Future medical costs and surgeries
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death expenses, and
- Other types of damages caused by a negligent driver in New York City.
If you or a loved one suffered any types of personal injuries after being hit by a car in NYC, call our experienced personal injury lawyers in Bronx, NY to schedule a FREE consultation. We are here to help you and your family.
Common Types of Personal Injuries in a Pedestrians Knockdown
Traumatic Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury, or TBI, is any type of injury or damage to the brain which affects how the brain functions or works. Most brain injuries are caused by a blow or jolt to the head. According to the CDC, there are more than 223,000 TBI-related hospitalizations each year and approximately 166 TBI-related deaths each day. These are staggering numbers reflecting how devasting this type of injury can be. There are several different types of TBIs, including the following:
- Diffuse axonal brain injuries
- Coup-contrecoup brain injuries
- Brain bleeds
- Penetrating brain injuries
- Contusions, and
- Other types of serious brain injuries after by a pedestrian knockdown in NYC.
Spinal Cord Injuries
- Paraplegia – an injury to the spinal cord that causes a partial or complete loss of sensation or function in the lower torso and extremities
- Quadriplegia – an injury to the spinal cord that causes a partial or complete loss of sensation or function in all four extremities and a majority of the torso from essentially the neck/top of shoulders down
- Monoplegia – injury to one limb, either caused by a brain injury or damage to the spinal cord or large nerves (peripheral nervous system) that comes off of the spinal column, and
- Other types of paralysis.
Pedestrians hit by a car are very suspectable to spinal cord injuries, even in low speed collisions.
Other Types of Catastrophic and Serious Personal Injuries After Being Hit by a Car in NYC
In addition to very serious personal injuries such as a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury, there are many other types of personal injuries that a person hit by a car could sustain. These include the following:
- Broken bones or fractures– especially bones that need to be surgically repaired by an open reduction with placement of often painful hardware like plates, pins, rods, and screws
- Amputation or loss of a limb or body part
- Nerve injuries, especially to the brachial plexus
- Significant disfigurement or lacerations
- Organ injuries or damage, including to the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, spleen, and other important organs
- Head injuries
- RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) or CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome)
- Dislocations or separations
- Wrongful death, and
- Many other serious or catastrophic injuries caused by being hit by a motor vehicle in NYC that our experienced personal injury lawyers in Bronx, NY could help recover for you.
Were You Injured After Being Hit by a Car in NYC? Call the Stern Law Firm for Help
If you or a loved one were injured in any type of accident in New York City or the surrounding area, know that our knowledgeable and experienced personal injury team at Stern Law Firm can help you and your family recover the adequate compensation that you deserve. We have a no- win/no fee guarantee and offer FREE consultations so you can learn what your rights are by dialing (718) 416-1500, (516) 294-2664 or by sending us a private message through our contact us box available here.